As we welcome the start of a new school year, September’s Object of the Month are images from our photograph collection of the “Old” and “New” South Grammar School of South Hanson.
The “Old” South Grammar School was built by Edward Pendleton in 1881, at present-day 782 Main St. in South Hanson. During the 1905-1906 school season, Grace Wade was the teacher of the Old South Grammar School and gave each pupil a calendar Christmas 1905. One of her students, 10 year old Abbie Louise Monroe (b. at Hanson, 2 April 1895, daughter of Walter Monroe and Lydia Chamberlain), kept her calendar, which was inherited by Beatrice Monroe and later donated to the Hanson Historical Society on 1 May 1980.
Due to overcrowding, the town decided to build a larger grammar school on the same site, so therefore in 1907, the “Old” South Grammar School was moved to Reed St., on land which was donated by the Hanson Manufacturing Co. and it became Primary No. 7 to take care of the children of Burrage employees from Grades 1-5. The “Old” South Grammar School building on Reed St. served as Primary No. 7 School from 1907-1927. With the “Old” South Grammar School moved to Reed St., construction began on a larger school built on the same site on Main St. The “New” South Grammar School opened September 1908. The “New” South Grammar School operated from 1908-1940. In 1939, the Hanson school system underwent a major restructuring and it was voted to sell the “New” South Grammar School. The school building and property was then sold to the Hanson Grange Patrons of Husbandry #209 for $1.00 on May 12, 1941.[Posted by Mary Blauss Edwards, Hanson Historical Society Curator]